Friday, June 12, 2009

Versailles (posted from the future).

Today was long! But fun just the same. We spent the day at Versailles – I didn’t sleep well because I woke up in the night with a sore throat which persisted all day. We met at 8:30 to take the RER…so I was kind of exhausted all day. Oh well.

Anyway, Versailles itself was very cool. The palace is HUGE! And the rooms are gorgeous, and there was an exhibition with all kinds of costumes from that period.

It’s amazing the kinds of things people wore, and it’s crazy to realize that real people actually wore those exact things I was looking at. I have the same trouble when we go to old houses – trying to fathom that real people actually lived there at one point!

Anyway, we saw the palace and then had lunch at a little café in the garden, then looked around some more and then split up to go our own ways. Most everyone went home right away to pack and leave for Amsterdam, but I stayed behind with Alex and Valentina to look around the garden some more, even though I wasn’t feeling well, just because it was so gorgeous. I’m really glad I did. We wandered and took pictures and then took a little trolley thing to the main gate and looked around there for awhile. There was some sort of movie being filmed by the fountains, so there were all these people in period clothing. We watched that for a bit and it was really cool.

Eventually we took the RER back home and I took a shower and was lazy for awhile before dinner. Then we ate and now I’m being lazy again…I probably should do homework or something, but I’m just exhausted and anyway I have the next two days completely free. I can afford to waste a little time.

Tomorrow Valentina and Laura and Alex and I are going to go to some bookstores and then go out in the evening, and also hopefully have dinner because tomorrow is the night where I’m on my own for dinner.

I’ll probably do a little homework tomorrow, and most of it on Sunday. I’m not too worried.
Time to read and watch TV and go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment