Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A funny thing happened on the way to the FNAC...

Yesterday I left my apartment to go to the FNAC to buy some books in French, since I'm almost finished with Fascination. The FNAC is located in the big shopping mall (the Forum des Halles) behind my apartment, and in between is an open square with a fountain in the middle. I got to the fountain to find a huge group of people shouting.

As I got closer I realized that they were shouting in Farsi, and most of them were holding signs or green balloons, many of them with scarves tied around their mouths. It was a protest against the results of the election that took place in Iran a couple of days ago.

It was amazing to see the amount of passion in everyone, and the solidarity among them. I saw tons of people finding their friends in the crowd, kissing cheeks and speaking Farsi. They had all kinds of signs, some people were handing out pamphlets.

I listened to them sing, and chant:

"Où est mon vote?"
"Where is my vote?"
"Sol- sol- sol-...solidarité...international!"

And many other things I couldn't quite catch, or don't remember now.

I stayed for at least half an hour, and then went to the FNAC (where I could spend a day easily without realizing it, but I limited myself to 45 minutes or so) and when I came out, they were still there, and the group had grown. I stayed for another hour, watching and listening on the outside. It was all very moving.




No comments:

Post a Comment