Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bodies, bodies, bodies.

Yesterday we went to the Basilisque Saint-Denis, which worked out well, in my opinion, since it was raining. Even despite the rain, the stained glass was amazingly beautiful. Even cooler than the stained glass, though, were the tombs. There are tombs everywhere in Saint-Denis - in the church itself, upstairs, and of course below in the crypt, where Marie Antoinette lies, among others.

As mentioned previously, we went to the Catacombs last week. Which of course is an underground tunnel packed with bones and skulls.

Today, we spent the afternoon at the Cimetière Père Lachaise, which is, obviously, a cemetary. Another area of space occupied by dead bodies. Three different presentations of death and what happens after death; three different presentations of where you get to go when you die in Paris, depending on whether you were poor, or a king or, you know, a regular person or Jim Morrison or whatever.

All in all, very cool.

5 comments:

  1. Several of our staff are from Iran and have been wearing green t-shirts for the past few days. They're not happy, either. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maya,

    Enjoy your time! I wish I was there. chin chin pour moi avec un verre de vin!Je sohaite que j'etais la!

    Bissous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pere Lachaise is one of my favorite places in the city :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont believe I went here while in Paris, boo, now I'm mad. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^eh lol, oops, that was me, Dani.

    ReplyDelete