Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Panda Jolly.

I suppose I've been slacking a bit lately when it comes to blogging...I blame that on being ridiculously busy/tired, though. And lacking in motivation to spend an hour at McDonalds when I could be doing something else!

Let's see, where did I leave off? Saturday we went to see another castle, the Château d'Ecouen, which was fun. I've decided I really enjoy train rides...such a nice opportunity to lie back and listen to music and read. Mmm. After that I went home and relaxed for awhile, and thought about going out...but then this Offenbach tribute concert came on TV while I was eating dinner and my host mom and I ended up watching the entire thing, because it was AWESOME, and by the time it ended I was tired and went to bed. Not a bad way to spend at Saturday night, in my opinion.

Sunday morning I went to Centre Pompidou with Liza and Devonne, which was super cool. That building is fantastic. We saw an exhibit of Kandinsky, which was probably my favorite art that I've seen so far on this trip. The modern art exhibit was all of this crazy feminist stuff that I didn't like at ALL. I am all about feminism, but not so much the extremists, and I can think of better things to do than look at a black and white film strip of a naked woman holding a chicken, thank you very much. It was enough to convince us to leave and go get lunch and crêpes (oh yes, both lunch and crêpes, not just crêpes for lunch). Then we wandered around a bit, and split up to go home for awhile before the fête de la musique.

We met up in the evening and went first to "MTV Shake ton Booty", which was...an adventure. I've never felt so white in my life, but that's okay. There were sooo many people there, and I actually really enjoyed the music. They had a special guest who turned out to be Flo Rida...so I got a chance to learn who Flo Rida is and realize that I recognized one of the songs grâce à Audrey. Fun!

Someone had said there was going to be reggae going on at Bastille, so afterwards I headed over that direction with Morgan, Devonne, Liza and Valentina. There was no reggae, but there was still a lot going on. We walked around a bit and then went and had a fantastic dinner with a really adorable and friendly waiter. I love how long and drawn out dinner is in France; I think we were there for at least 2 hours.

When we got back outside we met up with Ben and Jerris, who had just come from the Comédie Française. Not long after they arrived, as we were trying to decide what to do, all of a sudden something happened (I still don't know what) and out of nowhere all these policemen showed up. A LOT of policemen. They had flare guns and everyone started running away...we ran and then stopped to look back, and then like a million police cars showed up with lights flashing...and then everyone pretty much started running again and more and more police kept showing up. It was chaotic and I basically just latched onto Ben and said, "Please take me home now!" So we ended up all getting on the metro, and we went to Châtelet and the entire group walked me all the way to my front door. Which I appreciated because Châtelet is pretty sketchy even when it's NOT the night of fête de la musique. When I got up to my apartment I told my host mom about it and her response was, "Oh, yeah, that's Paris at night." Hah. It figures, the one night I actually stay out past 11 I end up running from the police...adventure!

Yesterday was just long...I was exhausted from the night before and then after class we did a "treasure hunt" from l'Arc de Triomphe down the Champs-Élysées all the way to l'Église de la Madeleine. It wasn't very much fun and I was kind of grumpy at the end, but I guess I can't expect every single day to be wonderful while I'm here. Anyway, as with the last treasure hunt (the one in the Latin Quater in the rain), my host mom managed to redeem my day by watching a super awesome movie with me on TV after dinner. Last night was King Kong - the original 1933 version. Dubbed in French. SO cool.

Today was relatively uneventful; after class we didn't have an activity planned so I went to lunch and then "went shopping" with Devonne and Liza, meaning that they shopped and I remembered how terrible I am at clothes shopping because I'm so picky and I know nothing about clothes. But that's okay, because I had fun anyway, and after I went home I went to the Forum des Halles where there's a Swatch store and bought a super awesome watch. From 2 cute French guys who chatted with me, and continued to speak French with me even after they found out I spoke English, which was awesome and doesn't happen very often. Success.

And now I find myself at MacDo again, getting up to date on life outside of France. I don't miss home, but I do miss the people! Tonight we're going out for sushi to celebrate Ben's birthday, and I'm looking forward to that.

P.S. This car is parked outside of my school every day, and it makes me SO happy every time I see it:

No comments:

Post a Comment