Saturday, July 18, 2009

Vacation, all I ever wanted.

My grades from Paris have been posted! I got an A and a B and I'm so excited!! I was kind of expecting Bs in both classes, but apparently my compte-rendus must have been worth something in cinema. Score!

I was so stressed about my flight to Dublin, mostly, I think, because of how stressful the flight from Orly to Berlin had turned out to be. But in the end, the flight was magnificently, almost magically easy. No problems or hassles whatsoever.

I met up with my sister at the airport and we went on a quest to find someplace to stay. We ended up in a super cute, remarkably nice hotel that costs about the same as some of the hostels we were looking at. Our room has a trouser press and the an amazing shower - clearly two things of the utmost importance when it comes to a hotel in Dublin. It also has internet, which I really appreciate.

Last night we went and found dinner in town and then walked around for a bit and stopped for dessert and coffee. I don't know if I've mentioned this yet, but I really love this European thing of waffles for dessert instead of breakfast. Paris of course is full of stands selling crêpes and gaufres. Anyway, in Dublin, we ended up in this place called Lemon, with the giant-est menu of crêpes and waffles I've ever seen.

And I didn't even get a crêpe with Nutella...whaaaaat??

Later we came back and watched TV, and then went to the tiniest pub ever (literally, the sign outside says, "Possibly the smallest pub in the world") to have a Guinness. Because, you know, that's what you do on your first night in Dublin.

Incidentally, it turns out that I like Guinness. This was not always the case. However, the last time I had one I was probably about 17, so that could have something to do with it. At any rate...it was delicious. And this afternoon I believe we're going to go tour the Storehouse, which should be fun, and tomorrow visiting the Jameson distillery. This is what seems to be happening: The first 7 weeks of my trip are spent studying and eating pastries, the last 2 are spent relaxing and drinking. I'm pretty okay with that.

As far as Dublin itself, I love it. It's so cute and quaint and the people are so friendly. And they speak English! I didn't realize how weird it would be to come back to a place where people speak my native tongue, albeit with an accent. I don't have to think twice about what to say when I bump into someone, and I don't have to feel like an idiot when I don't think and blurt out, "excuse me!" Ordering food is simple. Asking for directions is simple.

It almost seems too easy.

Anyway, what it all comes down to is that I am fully at the point where I feel like I'm on vacation, and I love it.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're continuing to have an excellent summer! :D
    Has the bad weather hit Ireland yet? It's GRAY over here and at least 10°C colder than when you were still around. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and congrats on your grades!!! :D

    ReplyDelete