Saturday, July 25, 2009

Stars and stripes forever.

I thought it would be months before I could handle another museum (out of just the museums in my Paris travel guide, I've been to 14), but today we hit the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, and the "Heineken Experience", all of which were pretty awesome. I like Amsterdam.

I can't believe how soon I'm going home...I know I've said that a million times. I'm sure it's for the best, because I'm running out of money and desperately need to get back to work...but it's going to be weird, most certainly.

Here's an interesting fact. Before this summer I never thought of myself as necessarily "patriotic", or even "proud to be an American". America has done some pretty messed up stuff and there are still a lot of things I really, really don't agree with. And the tourists can be pretty obnoxious over here. (I could go on, but I won't.)

HOWEVER. There are certainly things I have missed since I've been here, differences I've noticed, things I can't wait to get back to. Moreover, I have had numerous experiences over here where my culture has been challenged, or insulted, or made fun of by Europeans. And actually, it really offends me. I don't think America is the Greatest Country in the World...but the fact of the matter is, I still am American, I have been all my life.

I agree that we can do some stupid stuff. But who doesn't? I try my hardest not to base judgments off of stereotypes when I interact with people from other cultures, and I guess I kind of expect the same courtesy back. It's one thing to discuss or joke about the shortcomings of my country with fellow Americans, but it's certainly another to hear that coming from someone outside.

I don't mean to get self-righteous and bitchy, and this wasn't sparked by any particular event. I guess it's just something I've been thinking about. I suppose being away has shown me that actually, I am proud to be an American; I do respect my country quite a bit - especially since this last presidential election. I've never been more proud of my country.

I just don't feel the need to write a crappy country song about it or anything.

2 comments:

  1. I like America a lot! Hummm ... I am trying to remember if I criticized America while you were here ... humm ... I do remember that we talked about Americans ... about the election ... tourists ... umm ... and about the fact that German apple pie is nothing like the American one.
    So tell me, did I voice any of my comments inappropriately? You've got me quite intrigued now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops. The Four Agreements just smacked me pretty hard. I am not supposed to take anything personally ...

    ReplyDelete