Sunday, July 5, 2009

Let it be.

I definitely forgot to update about Friday night, which is unacceptable since that was one of the best nights I've had since I've been here.

After the Musée de Cluny and arènes de Lutèce, I went home and showered and made myself human again and then met Mme Ayoun and Pierre and Ben and Alex to go see "Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot," a film by Tati, whose exhibit we saw at the Cinémathèque Française last week. The movie was fantastic, and absolutely hilarious. It's an old one and I recommend it.

Afterwards we raced to Montmartre to meet up with the group for fondue. (Note to everyone reading this: If you ever are in Paris, and you take the métro to Abesses, DO NOT EXIT BY TAKING THE STAIRS. There are about 85 million of them. Those people crowding around the elevator? They're there for a reason.)

Anyway. We got to Montmartre and nearly the whole group had dinner together at this tiny fondue restaurant called Le Refuge des Fondues, which...has a lot of character. It's so small that everyone sitting long the wall had to literally climb over the table to get to their seats. There was no ordering, just a cocktail, some light appetizers, lots of fondue (cheese and meat), and wine...in baby bottles. Never in my life did I think I would ever drink wine out of a baby bottle. But now I can say that I have! It was really, really fun. And at the end, Mme Ayoun ended up paying for all of us, which was...beyond gracious, and a wonderful surprise.

Afterwards, probably as a result of a baby bottle full of wine (which definitely holds more than one glass), I agreed to go to a karaoke bar with my classmates. The DJ was awful and the music videos were terrible but it was so very much fun. I didn't sing anything alone, but everyone just ended up singing together the whole time anyway. Lots of Michael Jackson, of course. We pretty much had the upstairs to ourselves.

There was a moment when someone requsted "Let it Be", by the Beatles, and it got all quiet and everyone started singing together and it reminded me of my 10th grade Speech and Debate trip to Berkeley when we were driving in the van at night and the same thing happened - that song came on and everyone just shut up about whatever they were talking about and started singing, all together. Very, very cool.

Eventually it got late, and I took a cab home. I'm glad I went out at least one night in Paris. The circumstances were perfect. I had a wonderful time. And now no one can bug me about it ever again!! Hah.

Now I'm really done blogging for the night. Mainly because my internet is down to one bar and I suspect it won't hold out much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment